Thursday, March 20, 2014

Compare Your Cards, Not Your Kids!

"Don't let comparison steal your joy" or "Comparison is the thief of joy". I have read these quotes many times and always related it to myself. Don't compare myself with other women. God has called us all on different paths and I need to walk the one he specifically designed for me, not anyone else. Then today I realized this whole comparison attitude goes beyond me, it really relates to my children too. Let's just say baby boy has been quite the challenge lately. Without realizing it, I got caught up in the comparison game. Comparing him with other babies around his age, comparing him with how his brother and sister were when they were babies. In fact yesterday I was at the store and started a conversation with a lady who had a baby that looked the same age as mine. Within seconds of our conversation we were comparing size, eating patterns, etc.. Of course I walked out discouraged. Why isn't my boy eating that much? Why doesn't my boy smile all the time? Why the heck is my boy still waking up at night? Lol I really do know better. I know all babies develop at their own speed. I know these things, yet I still fell in the trap. I'm glad I'm realizing it. Accepting my sweet baby boy is growing just as God designed him to and adjusting my attitude. This doesn't just go for him, it goes for my older children also. I can't compare them with other kids their age or with each other. God designed them each in a unique way. They are God's workmanship, fearfully and wonderfully made. The minute I start measuring them up with others is the minute I start to doubt God's sovereignty. I forget that they are God's masterpiece. I forget that His plans and His thoughts towards them are far greater than I can imagine. All I need to do is trust Him. To God Be the Glory.

"and being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." (Philippians 1:6 NIV)
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8, 9 NIV)
"For we are God's masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago." (Ephesians 2:10)

No comments:

Post a Comment